Finding a car for you young whippersnappers in your 50s, 60s, and 70s can be a daunting task. The vehicle has to be perfect – not so small that you struggle to fit in it and not so big you either cannot control it or cannot get in it in the first place.
With comfort being the most important factor for Mama and other older drivers, Kiplinger searched out the best medium-height cars that allow for a customizable drive through features like a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel and adjustable-height driver’s seat. Mama also needs to see where she’s going, so many of the cars feature backup cameras and reverse sensors to help us older drivers.
1) Kia Soul + – The Kia Soul + combines sporty handling and storage space with unique styling and a low price. It also offers built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling, keeping Mama safer as she checks up on those cute little grandkids.
2) Honda CR-V LX – This is a small SUV that has seats that are just the right height. Mama can get in and out without having to worry about falling and breaking a hip. It also features plenty of cargo space, 28 highway mpg, and superior handling and braking capability.
3) Mazda5 Grand Touring – Despite the classification of a mini-minivan, the Mazda5 Grand Touring has plenty of room with seating for six. (Mama can’t wait to take those grandkids to the beach!) It’s also low to the ground making it easy to climb in and out. Plus, the front seats are heated! Now that’s hot!
4) Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited – The Outback is great for us active gray-hairs with its all-wheel-drive and IIHS Top Safety Pick status. It features extra cargo storage compartments and a ten-way power seat with power lumbar adjustment.
5) Ford Taurus Limited – The highlight of this car is easily the SYNC System, which allows Mama to make phone calls, control the entertainment system, and get turn-by-turn directions without having to take her hands off of the wheel. It also has lots of cargo space and comfortable, adjustable seats and pedals.