There are other ways to save money on a road trip aside from shortening your trip and heading home early. You can modify the way you drive to get more bang for your buck. We at Mama’s Used Cars thought that we would share some of our tips for getting the best gas mileage as you plan to hit the road this summer.
Before You Go
- Before you head out on your next adventure, it is important to make sure your vehicle is prepared. Keeping up with routine maintenance such as oil changes, replacing the air filter, checking tire pressure, etc. are important in getting the most efficiency out of your vehicle, no matter what model year it is.
- Also, when you fill up your tank before setting out on your trip, choose the coolest time of day. Gas is most dense when it is cooler, so your savings can be immediate.
During Your Trip
- When driving, it is important to stick to the speed limit. Not only will this reduce the likelihood of interrupting your trip with a speeding ticket, but it will also reduce the amount of time you spend starting and stopping. According to the experts at com, the closer to the set speed limit you travel, the more likely you are to sail through green lights rather than constantly stop at red lights.
- Speaking of starting and stopping, using cruise control on the highway takes away the need to continually press on the gas pedal and helps to improve efficiency.
- Though we all like the feel of the wind in our hair, rolling up your windows will reduce added resistance to your vehicle and increase your gas mileage by up to 10%.
We hope you find these tips helpful in increasing your vehicle’s efficiency during your summer traveling. Do you have any other tips to add? We would love to hear them in the comments below.