We all love a good vacation—but if you’re short on funds or just want to stay closer to home, here are five great stops for spectacular one-tank road trips in South Carolina. We’ve mapped out a varied trip that starts at Hunting Island State Park and takes you through the beautiful Sumter National Forest.
- Hunting Island State Park. For just $2, you can get a tour of the beautiful lighthouse. This is South Carolina’s most-visited State Park.
- Old Sheldon Church. First built in the mid-1700s, the remains of this Greek revival style church are still breathtaking. Catch a glimpse of the ruins in Yemassee.
- UFO Welcome Center. Stop in Bowman to help welcome visitors from another planet. You’ll love all the comments you will get on the selfie that you’ll post later.
- Sumter National Forest. Take in a hike, see local wildlife, and go mountain biking all at Sumter National Forest.
- Whiteford’s Giant Burger. Before you head back home to Charleston, drive through Laurens and fill up at the iconic Whiteford’s Giant Burger. This restaurant has been serving the area since 1957.
According to Google Maps, this trip is 220 miles one-way. So depending on what you drive, you may have to fill up on the way home.