Believe it or not, Spring is just around the corner
With the abnormal amount of snow and cold weather we’ve experienced this winter in Charleston, it may be hard to believe that Spring is right around the corner. This means it’s time to prepare your car for warmer weather.
The icy temperatures and rough road conditions that come with winter are hard on your car, so it’s important to take care of basic maintenance issues. This will prevent any minor damage from becoming a major problem down the road.
Here are 6 basic ways to prepare your car for Spring:
- Check the Battery: Cold weather causes your car’s battery to deteriorate quickly, making it much less reliable. Bring your battery into our service center to get tested and replaced, if necessary.
- Check Your Tires: Use a penny to check the tread of each tire. If it’s worn down low enough that you can see the top of Abraham Lincoln’s head, you probably need new tires. Also, look for excessive wear in patches or on the edges. If it appears uneven, schedule a tire alignment.
- Check Your Wheel Alignment: Proper wheel alignment improves your car’s handling and lengthens the life of your tires. If your car doesn’t drive straight with the steering wheel centered, it might be a good idea to visit a local service center.
- Check Your Brakes: Before you take off for Spring Break, check your car’s brakes to make sure they’re working properly.
- Check Fluid Levels: Open the hood of your car and make sure all fluid levels are where they need to be, especially coolant.
Clean: Clean both the inside and outside of your car, especially if its covered in road salt and sludge. Use a vacuum on the inside to sweep up any dirt that collected over the winter.